Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Give 'em hell, Watto...

 
Shane Watson is to open in the Ashes, says new coach Darren Lehmann.

I think I am facing some kind of existential crisis. First the Aussies took my advice and added Steve Smith to the Ashes squad. Now they've gone and done it again and announced Shane Watson will be opening the batting. Has The Cricket Hooligan become a kind of Holy Spirit that compels the hearts and minds of Cricket Australia officials? I wonder for what good or mischief I can use my extraordinary power? They now only need to give Phil Hughes the can for my holy work to be completed.

In any case, this is great news. Watson plays his best in the opening position, as I have expounded at length before. For "Danger Man" to be at his most effective in the Ashes, he must open. It's a relief to see Lehmann is taking these bold steps so quickly after being appointed.

Seize this opportunity, Watto. As you very well know, your career is on the line. You've just been given a lifeline to salvage it and cement your position in the team. Take it, and give 'em hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment